- Detta ämne har 1 svar, 1 deltagare, och uppdaterades senast för 8 månader, 1 vecka sedan av happident.
2020-10-13 kl. 13:50 #5806Jewel SkinnerGäst
The Address Book
What Street Addresses Reveal About Identity, Race, Wealth, and Power
by Deirdre Mask
- Release date: April 14, 2020
- ISBN: 9781250134769 (1250134765)
- Language: english
- Author: Deirdre Mask
- Format: hardcover, 336 pages
- Publisher: St. Martin’s Publishing Group (St. Martin’s Press)
About The Book
An extraordinary debut in the tradition of classic works from authors such as Mark Kurlansky, Mary Roach, and Rose George.
An exuberant and insightful work of popular history of how streets got their names, houses their numbers, and what it reveals about class, race, power, and identity.
When most people think about street addresses, if they think of them at all, it is in their capacity to ensure that the postman can deliver mail or a traveler won’t get lost. But street addresses were not invented to help you find your way; they were created to find you. In many parts of the world, your address can reveal your race and class.
In this wide-ranging and remarkable book, Deirdre Mask looks at the fate of streets named after Martin Luther King Jr., the wayfinding means of ancient Romans, and how Nazis haunt the streets of modern Germany. The flipside of having an address is not having one, and we also see what that means for millions of people today, including those who live in the slums of Kolkata and on the streets of London.
Filled with fascinating people and histories, The Address Book illuminates the complex and sometimes hidden stories behind street names and their power to name, to hide, to decide who counts, who doesn’t — and why.
Paperback book The Address Book Deirdre Mask download on Android. MP3 The Address Book read online on Audible. TXT ebook The Address Book by Deirdre Mask buy cheap on Books-a-Million. Hardcover ebook The Address Book for PocketBook.
FictionBook The Address Book buy. Hardback book The Address Book by Deirdre Mask iOS on Barnes & Noble. Online book The Address Book read on Mac. EPUB ebook The Address Book Deirdre Mask download on Book Depository.2020-10-13 kl. 13:59 #5810happidentGäst
- The Virgin Suicides (Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Edition) • Jeffrey Eugenides • 9781250303547
- Shotguns and Stagecoaches: The Brave Men Who Rode for Wells Fargo in the Wild West • John Boessenecker • 9781250184894
- The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate • Sandy Hall • 9781250119124