- Detta ämne har 1 svar, 1 deltagare, och uppdaterades senast för 1 år, 3 månader sedan av happident.
2020-10-02 kl. 14:00 #3286Achrijoli HawkinsGäst
Democracy May Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone
by Astra Taylor
- Language: english
- Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (Metropolitan Books)
- Format: paperback, 368 pages
- Release date: May 19, 2020
- ISBN: 9781250231284 (1250231280)
- Author: Astra Taylor
About The Book
What is democracy really? What do we mean when we use the term? And can it ever truly exist? Astra Taylor, hailed as a “New Civil Rights Leader” (LA Times), provides surprising answers.
There is no shortage of democracy, at least in name, and yet it is in crisis everywhere we look. From a cabal of thieving plutocrats in the White House to campaign finance and gerrymandering, it is clear that democracy — specifically the principle of government by and for the people — is not living up to its promise.
In Democracy Might Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone, Astra Taylor shows that real democracy — fully inclusive and completely egalitarian — has in fact never existed. In a tone that is both philosophical and anecdotal, weaving together history, theory, the stories of individuals, and interviews with such leading thinkers as Cornel West, Danielle Allen, and Slavoj Zizek, Taylor invites us to reexamine the term.
Is democracy a means or an end, a process or a set of desired outcomes? What if those outcomes, whatever they may be — peace, prosperity, equality, liberty, an engaged citizenry — can be achieved by non-democratic means? Or if an election leads to a terrible outcome? If democracy means rule by the people, what does it mean to rule and who counts as the people?
The inherent paradoxes are unnamed and unrecognized. By teasing them, Democracy Might Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone offers a better understanding of what is possible, what we want, and why democracy is so hard to realize.
EPUB Democracy May Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone on Walmart. Paperback book Democracy May Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone Astra Taylor read on Android. Online ebook Democracy May Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone by Astra Taylor download on Amazon. PDF Democracy May Not Exist, but We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone buy cheap for reader.2020-10-02 kl. 15:49 #3310happidentGäst
- Buddha Takes the Mound: Enlightenment in 9 Innings by Donald Lopez · 9781250237910
- A Nearly Normal Family by M. T. Edvardsson · 9781250204431
- Epic Athletes: Alex Morgan by Dan Wetzel · 9781250250711
- Color Quest: Wonderland: An Extraordinary Seek-and-Find Coloring Book for Artists by Chelsea Geldean · 9781250270573
- Light It Up by Kekla Magoon · 9781250128898